BananaSaviour

Wednesday, August 24, 2005

Role play/Simulation

Role-play/Simulation. I was convinced of its benefits today.

Initially, I was a critic of it. Such as it being time-consuming, students having more fun than learning, effort not matching outcome, etc. But I have been bought over to the 'dark side'. I learnt about its merits. That of learning through fun, involvement of all students including the shy ones, creating empathy and an impact on the students' learning process. It trains students to use and apply their creativity and multiple intelligences (eg, IQ, EQ, AQ). It allows them to take on different perspectives and outcomes, which are now being tested in contrast to the regurgitation of facts. Affective learning. Holistic learning.

All these made possible only with the proper guidance of the teacher, the importance of debrief, the drilling of specific notable points, reflection with the students ("in-and-out" of role)...

I was reminded of a tourism module where a team presented in the form of a talk show. They had team members dressed up as an officer with the STB, an American tourist and a roti prata man from Serangoon Road. By imitating them through humour, they presented the general views held by these social groups. Through it all, the whole class learned through fun and laughter.

But role-plays require tremendous planning and preparation... so too many will kill us in the process! And as the tutor pointed out, it kills the novelty of it all.

Assessment... how would assess role-play? What if the acting sucks? Haha! But the best solution I thought, was to have peer evaluation. Of course one cun just rely on that solely... pre-role-play work such as scripting and post-role-play work such as reflections could be taken into account. Role-play can be highly-effective, only if it is conducted well.

Heh. This makes me all excited yet nervous! Am I up to it? Sometimes I wish I was still a student....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home