BananaSaviour

Monday, August 22, 2005

YZ's microteaching

Now on YZ's mircoteaching... You wouldn't believe this. I took down the points on a piece of paper... and lost it. So I re-jotted the points when we had the debrief. And now it's LOST again! Talking about scatterbrain. Hmmm... mebbe YZ stole it. Hahaha! Or mebbe it got squashed up and got thrown about in class. Or got folded into a nice aeroplane and returned to where it belonged... *grin*

Level: Sec 3 Express
Topic: Faulting
Strategy: Powerpoint and worksheets with blanks, block props to demonstrate faulting, photographs in plastic bags and markers for students to identify faultlines.

Wow... I think there were many pockets of problems for YZ! Haha! Seems like many of the goody-two-shoes are unleashing already! =) But I must say she handled them quite well. There was a different kind of disruption... (read: the intellectual teacher's-pet wannabes.) Haha!

geognut was trying to be the smart aleck (k, he doesn't need to try hard, cos this is his pet topic!) and asked 'intelligent' questions. I think this is a problem when teachers are caught in the middle. A common solution is to just admit that we are not sure and that we'll check it out and get back to the students asap. But sometimes, we are unwilling to admit that we don't know cos we don't want to lose credit... and hence shrug it off and ask the student to go research himself. I guess in this case, we might discourage these students from probing more and gradually lose interest in the subject. (Gone are the days when students keep quiet and passive about everything! Hee)

Hmm, YZ should also have picked on other students to answer her questions, and not focus too much on the attentive and smart students like Lily. Cos that seems unfair and the other students will feel discouraged and worthless. And too much focus was placed on cheeky ones like superlambanana, geognut and me. It seemed like every move we make was being picked on, even though we were genuinely discussing her lesson. And her eyes seemed set on us... such that sleepy SJ got off. Heh.

But I thought she handled it very well when she reprimanded geognut for throwing paper aeroplanes around. "Where are you? Where is this place? Where do aeroplanes belong?" She was also very firm in getting geognut to pick up the plane and dump it where it belonged... the "hangar" as geognut puts it. Haha! And when I was making some noise, she went "Do you have anything to say?" rather than just telling me to shut up. And I am super impressed by the way she handled the situation when there was a sexual comment... something like, "Cher, I like your rift valley!" She reacted promptly and shot back the question, I think. I cun really remember. It went something like, "Do you own a rift valley?" But the point is, she did not allow the sexual joke to carry on and did not show that she was embarassed... cos that would have met the purposes of the cheeky student. Yet she did not flare up and start firing at the student. Kudos to "deh" YZ! =)

The asthma case... hmm...
Firstly, bad acting by wes... such that it was comical! Hahah! Geognut and myself were wondering what that noise was! Such that YZ was confused by whether he was just playing a fool or really having asthma! Hee. But I think it was a really good idea to introduce such emergencies. Hmm.. "Call ambulance!" was too wise, I feel. But I guess YZ had no choice... like in her blog, she mentioned that if she had accompanied Wes to the sickbay... she wouldn't have to microteach anymore. But in a real situation, I think it is best if we can accompany the student to the sickbay ourselves... while setting some work for the students to keep them occupied and maybe putting someone in-charge... either the class rep, subject rep or a naughty one to maintain order in the class.

Next, I think we shouldn't kick up a big fuss and scare the class by the incident. We should handle it as calmly as we can. But on the other hand, we should also address the confusion, fears and concerns of the class. Cos I felt that YZ was brushed the issue aside so that she could stick to her lesson plan... which is why I kept saying "Wesley is going to die!", in hope of her addressing the issue. And I even thought of crying... and accusing her of not showing enough care. I think it is important to assure the class that their classmate is fine... even if he isn't at that point of time!

All in all... it's a job well done! =)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home