BananaSaviour

Wednesday, August 17, 2005

Steve Job

(As I'm typing this, I'm being attacked by this brave, lone warrior of a mosquito... To kill or not to kill? The power lies with you. No, with me. Heh.)

Tot I'd update my blog... =)

Kenneth played this audio clip of Steve Job's commencement speech at Stanford University. To find a copy of the speech, do look up geognut. Cos I tried creating the link but the link just won't work... and since geognut has it... Shall advertise for him then! Hee. Really just listened to it in awe. He has such an amazing never-say-die spirit! It has instantly risen up the priority chart of "must-listen" inspirational speeches. And it coincides with what I want my students to strive for... their DREAMS. To follow their hearts and to have no regrets. (Of course not harmful stuff lah...) To dare to dream, to have the courage to take the first step, and to have faith to continue and finish the race even when the whole world isn't with you... (God will never leave us nor forsake us, so we just need to stay focused on Him.)

Just several pointers that hit me.

"You can't connect the dots looking forward; you can only connect them looking backwards. So you have to trust that the dots will somehow connect in your future." (Jobs, 2005) Isn't this so true? We must always believe that there is a future, so that we can move forward and find meaning in the things we do. But it order to move forward towards our future, we have to grab opportunities now... plant the seeds now, water the seeds now... so that the seeds will grow in future! So what matters is NOW, and not the past, but hope for the future! Hee. Strange huh... coming from someone with History as CS2! Hahah! No lah.... I mean that we should not be trapped in the past and entangled in regret over the things that we failed to do. We should LEARN from the past and apply to the present and the future! And that's vital... to learn from past mistakes. That's what my approach is. Not that the past is redundant.

I believe that everything is planned by God. He is the Creator and knows best how our lives are best crafted. Every trial, every tribulation, every mistake, is just a stepping stone... for us to strengthen ourselves for the future. Not to show that we are totally useless and cannot stand up to hardship. Cos with God, everything is possible! We just need to trust in Him.

"And the only way to do great work is to love what you do." (Jobs, 2005) Right on the dot! I always believed in doing what I love, cos this is where you will succeed regardless of how discouraging the situation is. It's only when we love what we do are we willing to throw in more effort and commitment... only then are we willing to brush aside all unpleasanties and not mind the hardship. It's so true about our jobs... and so true about students dealing with the subjects they love. Hence our main motivation should be to infuse the love of Geography and whatever other subjects we are teaching into our students. Our enthusiasm will be rubbed off onto them!Then I imagine it as a 'dominoes effect', where everything falls into place. Cos this is just a perfect scenario lah... but I believe it's possible! Hee. Love conquers ALL! =)


"If today were the last day of my life, would I want to do what I am about to do today?" (Jobs, 2005) This has always been a powerful tool... but I always seem to be just sucked into everyday life and commitment. Of course I would wanna do more exciting stuff than... erm... better not say lah! Haha! But on a more serious note, I would wanna make a difference in ppl's lives. A positive influence, I mean! But this kinda thing is a long-term 'contract', and cun be accomplished in just one day's work. But I believe that tiny gestures can be magnified in someone else's life... even though we do not see the result. So yeah, we should have a goal/s and work towards it continuously.

"Don't let the noise of others' opinions drown out your own inner voice. And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary. " (Jobs, 2005)

Courage. But with a nice mix of humility. =)

Hee. After all the 'advertisment' for Steve Job... do you think I'll get any royalty?? (And we were just talking about humility?? Hee. Courage mah. Must grab the opportunity! Hahaha!)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home