BananaSaviour

Thursday, August 11, 2005

Podcast

Podcast. If you are not in Kenneth's class, you probably wouldn't have even heard of this rite? Hee. Which makes me so proud to be in his class! Haha!

Podcast is new technology. And for a techno-idiot who usually doesn't embrace new stuff too early on in the tech cycle... this is like WOOHOOooo!! Hee. Actually I'm really quite excited about it... though I must admit I dunno much about it. I just pray that we do come up with a bright idea of incorporating Geog and boosting pedagogy in this field. (Cos Geog to me was always more visual than audio.... hmmm...) It's just exciting having a chance to experiment with this lah. And if there are any technical problems... there's always Kenneth we can turn to.

Although today's class was power-packed with technology and Mac and iPod stuff... and I must admit that I did get fidgety and restless and... err... finally dozed off in the middle. Oops! Hee. But I did pay attention for most of the parts lah! And very tempted to give in to iBook! Just concerned with the application problems... but I think it shouldn't be too much of a hassle... seeing how Rezal has been using it for quite long and how Kenneth is 'googoogaga' (if I might say that!) over Mac! "It's my MACdonald's...." Hee.

Yep, so now I just pray that my group will be committed to coming up with good podcasts...

We shouldn't give in in the midst of difficulty and say, "Aiyah... cannot make it one lah... What's the point? Put in so much work for what?!" Sometimes we need to take things into perspective as well... not to lose sight of what our goals are. And if there's an opportunity to try new things, why not? When we think we are ready, the opportunity would have left us. Additionally, if we wanna do something, we might as well put in our hearts and soul and do a good job if possible? Why settle for effortless, meaningless and skimpy results when we have the resources, the opportunity and the capability to excel, go the distance and make a difference?

I'm feeling quite strongly about this cos I was a little frustrated (k, not little...) in GESL today. Some of the vocal members in my group have the 'take-the-easy-way-out' attitude. For eg, "Let's just chopchop and get it done." I understand efficiency. I understand the workload. But corny as it may be, I really believe in service learning. My two YEPs have taught me that. And for NIE to set aside so much time to incorporate this, it should mean something lah... (eh? politically correct? Hee) other than governmental stipulations and what not. That doesn't concern me. But c'mon... here's a chance to strive to come out with an excellent project... and it involves the community, (which grows in significance for me) and we are just gonna chopchop and just go do a one-day project cleaning up old folks' homes or a one-day beach clean-up and that's it? Never to bother about any of our so-called volunteer work again? What crap.

I'm not saying that this kinda volunteer work is pointless... What I do mean is that we are already doing this kinda volunteer work in our own free-time... Therefore we are not achieving the objectives of this GESL, whereby with our pool of resources, we can actually achieve a WHOLE LOT more! Like a project which will make an impact on the community and can be sustained even after this ends.

Don't people seek the sense of satisfaction in ploughing and harvesting the fruits of labour anymore? Other than just 'getting by' and producing 3rd grade harvests... if there is a harvest in the first place! Brrrr....

2 Comments:

  • At 2:25 am, Blogger Geognut said…

    NIE will love you. Think you are prepared for the Civil Service already. Now all you need are more acronyms heh.

    I do agree with you though. Doing things whole-heartedly and not chop-chop curry pok.

     
  • At 9:25 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    hey ducky!

    wah... just like ken said, u're sounding like an ambassador of the civil service! abt the service-learning thing... i'm happy for u that u believe in it frm our YEP as well. :)

    Hermit.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home