BananaSaviour

Monday, August 22, 2005

LY's micro-teaching

Have been procastinating too long. Gotta blog gotta blog gotta blog..........

K firstly let me comment on OBSunsetLY's micro-teaching. Better late than never...

Level: Sec 3 Express
Topic: Karst Landscapes
Strategy: Powerpoint, video, rock samples and worksheets

Overall, I felt that the lesson was interesting... especially with the rock samples. There's visual and hands-on activity for the students. Hmmm... maybe all the rocks are fairly similar... but if they are not... mebbe students could exchange the samples so that they can observe all of them? Putting them in little bags are a good idea.... I remember how a teacher I was observing din do so... and hence had to keep reminding the students that the samples were her prized possessions when they started playing with them. The worksheet is a good way to keep the students occupied. But we weren't told how long we had to complete the worksheet... so we had no motivation.

Very cool pictures on karst as well. But the video flashed past before I could catch anything. But then again, I was being mischievous. Hmm... should we capture the students' attention first before playing the video? Cos naughty ones in general take a longer time to settle down... and hence lose out on the video, which might have sparked an interest in them in relation to the lesson... and might result in less disruption.

Hmm... on the issue of confiscating EZlink. I personally do not support it... but it is an innovative idea. Firstly, after confiscating the EZlink, it kinda gives the naughty ones more liberty and freedom to revolt. Cos there is nothing restraining them anymore. Secondly, the students know that their cards will be returned in any case, cos it is something important which the teacher has no right to keep for long. Thirdly, the case of the teacher losing the cards... which is highly possible for scatterbrain me! And finally, what do you do when a student tells you that his/her card is being 'stolen' by his/her classmates during the lesson? First, do you believe the student? Second, do you pursue the matter if you do believe? And do you raise the issue to the whole class by questioning who 'stole' the EZlink? What to do... what to do?? "Willy Wonka... Willy Wonka.." =)

And if I might say this... I think LY was speaking too fast. (I have this problem too... and was initially told by students to slow down... but I was gan-cheong lah... cos it's my first lesson!!) So I can understand LY. And mebbe there should be more variation in the tone? I guess teachers have to be animated? In order to capture the attention of the kids, cos kids nowadays are easily bored. We are actors! "Willy Wonka... Willy Wonka.." Ohoh... and the consistency in getting students to stand when answering questions. I guess if we want to make students stand when answering a question, we should apply it to all students. (Think we have a tendency to forget...)

But all aside, I still think it was a good lesson. And sorry LY, if I was too "into" the role of the pai-kia by flinging the wallet. But you know that nothing is directed towards you rite? =)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home